Thursday, January 21, 2010

Our Thirst-Quenching God


"How priceless is Your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights. For with You is the fountain of life" Psalm 36:7-9a
Have you ever wondered what a "river of delight" looks like? When I'm bone weary and spiritually dried up, I love to imagine a cool, rushing stream in the mountains surrounded by towering pines and granite rocks. Once I visited Glacier National Park in Montana and was overcome by the power and freshness of the water. In my scrapbook I titled one page "7UP" because that's exactly what the water looked like--bubbles from some unknown depths joyously rising to break the surface of teal colored water. It truly spoke of life; life from a Source other than me.

So often in my world, I believe that I am the source of others well-being or happiness. That somehow I'm supposed to "fix things so that no one gets hurt." Or at least that's what I expect of God. And when He doesn't come through, then I have to step in and offer my help. When my husband was deployed to Iraq a few years ago, I was completely wrung out like Cinderella's mop. I railed at God screaming, "why are you taking me to my breaking point?! Do you delight in seeing me fail?" I had nothing to give my three tiny children (5,3,1 years) and yet somehow I felt responsible for keeping them alive--alone.

And then one day I "stumbled" on an obscure verse in Jeremiah. My Bible commentary states that "the meaning of the Hebrew for this sentence is uncertain." But it shouted in my pain! "Does the snow of Lebanon ever vanish from its rocky slopes? Do its cool waters from distant sources ever cease to flow? (emphasis mine)" Jer. 18:14. Maybe I loved it because it spoke of mountains iced with snow or that it pictured my bubbly cool waters?
No, Abba gently, beautifully reminded me that He is The Source, my source-the origin of life for every person I care about. I am not, nor did He ever intend me to be. And that His life, His energy, His flow never, ever ceases! He pours his effervescent river of delight into every crevass of my achy, disillusioned soul. I really believe that this Source of ecstatic love rushes down from Heaven in our direction continually. He longs for us to jump into His river of delight. Now I dive into the stream when I want to feel cherished and when I want to hear His tender voice. So go grab your suit and jump with me!

No comments: