Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Table in the Presence

"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies." Psalm 23

God, how do I eat recklessly with hungry, sullen eyes staring at me from a distance? Somewhere inside me, I want to sneak away and offer them a crumb under the table. As I get close, they snear, "we can't have, so you can't either. And you're bad for wanting more. What we have isn't enough for you?! they demand. How dare you get what you need!" So I leave the feast with my guilt in tow. At least I don't hear their cries stinging my ears. Maybe we can all survive on rice cakes in the desert. At least I won't be alone. If any crumbs fall, I'll feed you first, I promise. You need it worse than I. Sunsets fade away and so does my hunger. Buried deeply underground.

And then one day I gasp for air under the mountains of sand pouring into my mouth! My senses have quickened and I realize for the first time that "my father's men have more than enough bread but I am dying with hunger." I renounce the lie that I cannot receive, that I cannot need, that I cannot be fed. I have wasted so much time at the tree of good and evil that I couldn't see the tree of LIFE only yards away. "I will get up and go to my Father!"

To my surprise, I see him a long way off running to meet me! I hear Him shout, "in Me is all you need. I AM the Source, the Supplier, the Sustainer, the Creator, the Breath of life, the All-breasted One. Do cool waters from distant sources ever cease to flow? You don't create. You don't make. You cannot bring forth life out of death. I made you to receive of my abundant, lavish, recklessly crazy goodness. Why stay in this pig pen? Come home to Me. Don't look back over your shoulder. Leave! At once! For the King has returned. To bring you out of exile.

You will never be punished for following after Me. For leaving your pig pen. I run to you with open arms to wildy embrace you. Come home, My child. Leave their ears to Me. You haven't failed-only I can get them to come to their senses. There is nothing you can do. There are no fetters binding you to them. I hold your strings-your beautiful flowing harp strings. Nothing is holding you there. Nothing. Only lies from the accuser.

In my mind's eye, I see the flowing strings. Like the tail of a balloon. Or the streamers of the fairytale princess. Why do they catch my eye, Lord? Because they're free. They float. They ride the wind; they catch the breeze. They speak of a reality unseen. Me. and so do you. Focus, child, on MY love. I will share when they're ready. Trust Me to do that. Please. for your sake and Mine. You have wrapped yourself indelibly around My heart. I cannot let you go. Dance with Me. A cord of three strands is never torn apart. You are nestled within Us--do you know how powerful We are? The majesty of the Godhead is for you, child.

The princess felt her heart take flight, for this was love. And I pulled up a chair at the Table.

"Return to thy place, and abide with the King." 2 Samuel 15:19 Will you join Us? He asks.

No comments: